If your child’s baby teeth are starting to erupt and seem to be bothering her, you can
- Rub their gums with your finger
- Rub their gums with the back of a small chilled spoon
If the pain persists, your dentist, pharmacist or doctor may recommend an over-the-counter medicine to ease the pain.
What you SHOULD NOT DO
- DO NOT use pain medication that you rub on your child’s gums; she could swallow it.
- DO NOT give your child teething cookies. They may contain added or hidden sugar.
- DO NOT underestimate a fever. The eruption of new teeth DOES NOT make babies ill or give them a fever. If your child’s body temperature is going up and down, consult your doctor.
All 20 baby teeth will appear by the time your child is two or three years old.